Daughter of Mine, can these bones live?
"O Sovereign LORD, You alone know."
If I would have updated this blog at the end of every day since last Saturday, the posts would all have a different feel and topic, but they would all end with me smiling as I fall asleep. I haven't even been here a week and I know that working with my co-interns and the Dry Bones staff is going to be one of the greatest blessings and learning experiences of my life so far - and Elevations hasn't even started yet.
I got here and ate dinner with three of my co-interns who picked me up from the airport. Then they helped me bring my stuff into my host's home. She has really cool velvety wallpaper (be jealous). I spent my first night here unpacking and nervous about meeting the rest of the interns... oh, and of climbing a mountain.
As a staff/intern group, we took a little retreat up a mountain (in Vail Pass...?) and lemme tell ya: hiking up through snow is the hardest thing I've ever physically done, even with snow shoes. It was really beautiful though; I don't see trees or snow like that (EVERYWHERE) very often. Our retreat/orientation was taken in a little hut amidst the swirling snow, pouring rain, and enveloping fog. Robbie (from Dry Bones staff) challenged us to try to see the world as God sees it, particularly this summer as we interact with youth group kids and homeless kids. In addition to some "guidelines" and a little bit of planning, we had a lot of fun eating, talking, and laughing. Getting to know 12 other people you barely know is a lot of fun. I can definitely say that these people are amazing and I love them already!
Well, after the Monday through Wednesday "camping" trip, we learned how to give Turf Tours of the downtown area where the street kids experience life. Even having done one of them about a year and a half ago, it's a really thought-provoking walk going into places and seeing things in ways that people who actually live and work in Denver hardly ever even notice. We also went bowling with the street kids. It was great to meet several of them, but I'm just hoping I can remember their names the next time we see each other!
I feel like this post isn't at all like I wanted my first post about Denver to be, but it's kind of difficult when I'm not really able to write on here every night. Hopefully I will make myself post more often... And possibly get a few pics up...
0 replies:
Post a Comment