Our first youth group came on Monday and went up on the mountain that afternoon; they will be back tomorrow and then we get to spend the rest of the week with them. In the meantime, we have been learning about the streets and practicing Turf Tours.
I am learning so much about God's powerful love. We did what is called an "urban plunge" yesterday, which is like a simulation of being homeless for a few hours. We had a scenario we had to role play and it really demonstrated how much time is spent just looking for a place to sleep that night or for places to eat for free the next day. Along with us came one of Dry Bones' friends, a woman who became a street kid at the age of 13 and is now 35. It was incredible to hear her life story which involved abuse, rape, prostitution, drug addiction, drug dealing, and homelessness. Her partner's story was equally as incredible, he having been in and out of jail and addicted to heroin. But now they both love Jesus and are able to use their stories to show others the power of God's rescue. They know He has always been with them, and I think that their acceptance of His grace is the most courageous act I have ever known. Their faith is so completely different than mine or anyone else's I have ever known. I can't imagine being in their previous position, with nobody who cared or loved me, and yet still coming to realize that God's love covers all; Jesus' death is bigger than all that, it's bigger and mightier than any crap anyone has ever been through. I had never thought of grace as mighty before now, and it's humbling to realize that it relieves us all from any sin, and no sin is on any higher or lower level than another. Praise Jesus for their testimonies.
This woman also told us that the most anyone can do for a homeless person is to simply acknowledge their existence. Say hello if you see them, even if you can't or don't feel right giving them money. Smile. Wave. Do something to show that they are not invisible, that they are worthy of being treated as a person, that they are alive. She said that Dry Bones has the right idea because their whole ministry is based on relationships, which aren't measurable but ascribe worth to each person. How would you feel if you lived your life in the margins and nobody even turned a head your direction? I know I would begin to question the fact that I even exist, that I'm even a person; and I would wonder what was wrong with me and why I'm not worth a simple hello. What makes anyone's worth different from anyone else? Jesus died and rose for us all; His grace, mercy, and love is impartial. "We're all His favorite," as I have heard quoted before.
I'm still praying that God continues to open my eyes, those of my co-interns, and those of the youth group that is about to come off the mountain and see this other side of life. I want to see every person and not judge them by appearance, and I want to get to know people and not judge them by their beliefs or opinions. I want the first thought to pop into my mind when I look at a person to be, "Wow, he/she is invaluable and special and loveable and worth the most a person could pay: the blood of the Son of God."
I was going to post photos, but I realized that I don't really have any that are blog-worthy. Except this (the view from the cabin where we stayed last week up in the mountains):
0 replies:
Post a Comment