Sunday, June 7, 2009

Together

I find it interesting how people will get along with each other if they're brought together for a common purpose. Our interns are all so different, coming from various states, churches, schools, cultures, and families. I love seeing us all together enjoying each other's company. I think about these new friends of mine and can hardly believe that we've only known each other for a week, because it feels like it's been months. FUN DAY on Friday was awesome and I hope that as a group we will have more picnics, lake visits, and dress up (or down, however you want to look at it) dinners. I pray that our shared passion for Christ will knit us together even more tightly to be effective lovers of all whom we encounter this summer.

This morning, several of us tried a new church, Denver Community Church. I liked it and feel that it would be a good place to connect, but I would still like to explore a few more. The worst part about moving to a new place, I have learned, is finding a church. To cut down on time, I think we are going to try to hit a couple next week instead of just one. After all, we're only here for ten weeks, and one of them is gone already!

I should probably explain something. Elevations, which I have mentioned, is a summer program for high schoolers (church youth groups). They come to Denver to hang out with us, because the Dry Bones interns are so cool. No; really, they come here and a couple of us will take them on a hike up a mountain from Monday through Thursday to focus them on God's love for all people and the worth ascribed to everyone because of Jesus' death and resurrection. When they come down, we will introduce them to Denver as the homeless youth know it: the shadowy niches and socially hidden areas of the downtown city streets. (This is the Turf Tour I mentioned learning about in my last post.) We then do a lot of hanging out with the street kids and we try to connect the Elevations kids with them through things such as bowling, movies, picnics, and meals. We as Dry Bones interns and staff hope that the youth groups take back a passion for loving unconditionally to their home community. It is sure to be a fun and busy summer, and I cannot wait to be in the thick of it all.

0 replies:

Post a Comment