A view of east Oxford
I realize it's been far too long since I've last posted. It's been almost two weeks since our last travel break, of which I just decided to stay in Oxford and go to Bath as a day trip on Saturday. I will briefly update you on that weekend. (And I still have not the energy to write up about Spain... that will come later... still).
Cornmarket (and Tom Tower!) from St Michael at the North Gate tower
Thursday, November 6 --
I left the house at about noon to walk around town. I was also able to get some homework assignments done because of a couple places I went, so that was nice. I went to the Ashmolean Museum and I wasn't thoroughly impressed... the Treasures Room was cool but other than that, I wasn't too interested. Luckily it was free of charge. Than I went and had lunch in Caffe Nero, which is pretty expensive but hey, this was my day out. They have the best tuna melt you will ever eat, and the most amazing white chocolate mocha. Next I went to St. Michael at the North Gate tower and church. It was really cool to be on top of the oldest building in Oxford and I spent quite a bit of time just watching people walk down Cornmarket. After that I went to the Oxford University souvenir shops hoping to find a sweatshirt, but alas, I was too indecisive so I left that purchase for yet another day. It was interesting to be walking around Oxford without that knowledge that I need to hurry up and finish whatever I'm doing to get back to the houses right away to do homework. Well, I did have a ton of homework I could have been doing, but I was giving myself a break (because if I really had gone out of the country somewhere I wouldn't have been doing homework). I walked down Iffley Road and back up Cowley Road and decided that it was a pretty neat part of town, but not so much when it's starting to get dark. I wandered over to the basement at St Aldates' Parish Centre for the 24/7 Prayer Week they were hosting. It was great to be able to participate (again; I had gone earlier in the week), especially since I missed it on campus at ACU this semester. Cell group and Risky Living were next on the agenda for the night, and they were amazing as usual.
Friday, November 7 --
Basically stayed at home and worked on homework and read while the rain fell outside. It was lovely. I spent some awesome time with my lovelies Mary and Meagan; we even baked banana bread! :)
River in Bath
Saturday, November 8 --
I went to Bath with Mary, Katherine, and David. It is a really cute city. Besides stopping in to a little cafe for lunch, before we headed to the Roman baths we also walked a little along the river. The Roman baths were pretty interesting. I'm just glad I wasn't around during that time though. After this, we went and "bathed" as modern day people do: in a spa! The Thermae Bath Spa was awesome... we got to stay for two hours in this multi-story building with spas and scented steam rooms. The rooftop pool was the best though. David had a little trouble relaxing though (that's what happens when swimmers get into a pool), but we girls had it down. The steam rooms were really cool as well: frankincense, mint and eucalyptus, lavender, and mint. The lavender was my favorite while the frankincense nearly choked me to death. After we got dried and dressed we took the train back home.
Roman baths
Sunday, November 9 --
I spent the morning doing homework and procrastinating on doing homework. :) Katherine and I went to the late service at St Aldates because we finally had a weekend without our "house church" worship meeting, 9@9. It was similar to Unite and definitely made me miss Abilene.
Monday, November 10 --
I think I mostly just procrastinated on my Christian Worship paper this day. I don't really remember much of what happened on Monday, to be honest. All I really remember is that because Anne wasn't back from Switzerland yet, I walked down to the St Aldates intern flat alone at 10:45 PM... which was a little unnerving, but not awful. Anyway, yeah, club outreach that night was awesome... a lot of conversations got going and we didn't see any fights break out or anything. This one guy kept coming back for tea, and I think he'd had about 8 cups by the time he left (he was waiting for someone). If I see him again tonight I will definitely remember how he likes his tea!
1 replies:
Sounds awesome. The frankincense was a bit much for me as well, though I think my favourite might have been the mint.
Your pictures are quite nice, by the way. I really like them. And I'm impressed that you were brave enough to walk down to the club outreach by yourself (in the dark, I mean). So cool.
Post a Comment