Monday, July 27, 2009
Culture and Conflict
Last Saturday at the picnic there was almost a big fight between some dear street friends of ours. I can't describe the shift in the atmosphere, but it was definitely noticeable. I felt like everything else was suspended while a few guys stood yelling at each other and they and others prepared to fight. It scared me because I didn't want anybody to get hurt and I really thought there was going to be violence. Fortunately, George and Robbie helped diffuse the controversy and everything died down after the people involved talked it out; although, I still think there may be some remaining hostility, but I'm not positive. But all of this made me think about how different the street culture is from the culture I come from. I can't imagine what it would be like to demonstrate my loyalty to my friends by fighting alongside them (FYI: that's not necessarily the way they show they're on someone's side, but it seems to be one of them). Anyway, all this to say that I'm realizing that 2 months seems like no time at all to understand a completely different culture and to make really meaningful friendships. I feel like my relationships here are just getting to that point of real friendships, and I'm going to have to leave in 2 short weeks. I hope I will be able to somehow maintain at least a few of these relationships through email and whatnot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 replies:
Post a Comment