Saturday, October 25, 2008

It's Been A Week

Unfortunately, I have yet to gather the strength to finish my Spain posts (but don't worry -- it will come in time!!) Here is a summary of my past week...



CS Lewis lived here!

Monday, 20th:
Went to The Kilns, where CS Lewis lived for part of his adult life. It was quite interesting, and visiting students at the University actually live there (I wouldn't want to live there because I wouldn't want tourists tromping through my house!). Behind the house is a sort of reserve with walking paths and foresty trees and logs and it was beautiful because the leaves are changing colour.

Late Monday night/Early Tuesday morning, 20th-21st:
Anne and I decided to get involved in the club outreach ministry with our church, St Aldates. We just signed up for it and didn't even know exactly what was involved except that we were supposed to be handing out bottles of water in front of clubs in the middle of the night. It sounded so intimidating and I still cannot believe I agreed to do it, and we were both so nervous before that I don't even know how I actually ended up at the meeting place that night (it definitely wasn't on my own). We met with 5 other people who were going to do it, 4 guys and a girl. The night began with a time of prayer and then we set out. We split up into 4 and 3; I was with the group of 4 and we set up outside this club nearby. The others set up at a different one a couple streets over. All we did really was offer hot coffee and tea, bottles of water, and cookies. It was definitely a unique experience and definitely one I wouldn't trade for anything. I plan to keep doing it. Most of our offers got a warm reception, while others were simply ignored. We even got some conversations started. The question of "Why are you guys doing this?" came up quite often. At first I didn't know how to answer it, but then after thinking for a second it was obvious: we were just worshipping God in a simple way by showing love to people around us. I think it's really significant that something like this is going on because it's a very relevant way to serve the Oxford community. Night life is vibrant here (sometimes a little too lively, as evidenced by the couple of drunken fights and almost-fights). It made me kind of sad to see hundreds of young people wobbling about unsteadily, the scantily clad young women in their high heels on the cobbled driveways and the young men in their collared shirts. I think most of them were probably students. I was saddened by how many people were out getting smashed just at this one club (oh, and the ones across the street).

Thursday, 23rd:
I went to my first student cell group with St Aldates! It was so good. It's co-ed, which is a new experience for me, but a great one so far. The sort of focus for our group is evangelism, which I think is so ironic because of the club outreach I did earlier this week and the fact that that area is where I scored lowest in this "spiritual life" worksheet we did in Christian Worship the night before. It was actually only the second meeting for the group so I only missed the first one last week. We discussed what "evangelism" means and plan to get deeper as the weeks go on and eventually I think we are going to get into the practicalities of it and are going to practice it. After cell group was Risky Living, the student mid-week meeting for St Aldates. This was my third time to go and I didn't meet as many new people this time as the first two times because I was sitting with people I had just met at my cell group... Except for one guy. And this guy made me laugh because he goes, "In America... They have free refills!" And the rest of the table was in awe. Hahahaha!! Anyway, Risky is beautiful because it starts out with a meal and a lot of things can be learned and shared over a single meal. It moves into worship and then from that into the message and then prayer and worship. There are normally so many students there... I'd say probably 130ish? I may be completely wrong, but there are a LOT. It is so encouraging to have a place where there are students my age but they're not American! I love it.


"A piece of Texas in the heart of London!"

Friday, 24th:
London! Our class took a trip into the big city. This was my first time to go and from what I experienced, it was great! There were tons of manuscripts in the British Library to keep us busy for a much longer time than we had (everything from the Beatles to the Bible to the Magna Carta to da Vinci to Shakespeare to Jane Austen to Mozart...). Then we went to Westminster Palace (Big Ben, Houses of Parliament) and took a tour. Afterwards, a few of us wanted to tour Westminster Abbey but, much to our dismay (but to our wallets' rejoicing) it had just closed half an hour before. So we kind of wandered about... Through the orange leaves and lazy river of St James' Park to the official-looking Buckingham Palace. Once we got there, we realized that we needed to find something to eat... So we headed towards Trafalgar Square and had a little bit of home! We found the Texas Embassy Restaurant and it was like a little piece of Texas in my tummy. Even though it was Tex-Mex and not real Mexican, it was still so so so welcome. The most exciting part, though, was the fact that they had an ACU flag upstairs! I even signed the wall (they have this wall where people from Texas sign - I know I'm not Texan but I go to ACU... So there). Then we had only a 1 minute walk to Her Majesty's Theater... Because our show Phantom of the Opera was starting in half an hour! Haha, and when Rebekah and I went to pick up the tickets, my friend Spenser and his friend Cory who are both studying with Pepperdine in London were there and I actually had to do a double take when Spenser asked if he could take our photo for us because I didn't recognize him (and it's only been, what, two months since I've seen him). Anyway, the show was amazing! Beautiful... Pleasing to the eye and ear. Every time a scene ended I would think, "Wow, that was great - that was my favorite." Then the next one would start and I'd change my mind... And it just continued. Haha. It was so much better than I could have imagined. So much better than the movie, and I love the movie!

Before the show! So excited!!

Beautiful Big Ben and the Underground sign


Saturday, 25th:
Spenser and Cory came into Oxford and we hung out pretty much all day. We walked around town... Cornmarket, Merton College, Radcliffe Square, Eagle and Child, University Parks, ACU houses. It was a very pleasant day. I haven't had a day I could just wander about Oxford in a really long time, and this time I got to do it with an old friend from home (and his friend who is now my friend, because Facebook makes everything official, right?).

0 replies:

Post a Comment