I was quite pleased when the St Giles Fair came into town last week, especially since I was missing the West Texas Fair (ahh fond memories of last year...). I didn't ride anything (the only ride I wanted to ride on was 5 pounds - that's almost $10!), but I did buy some delicious fudge, rhubarb and custard candies (I had no idea what they were either; they're really good though!), and ate half of Anne's YUMMY chocolate and strawberry crepe. It was really neat seeing the contrast between the old buildings and the new fair equipment. The fair took up all of St Giles Street, which is huge, and it stopped traffic and everything. It smelled so good: you'd walk five feet and be smelling donuts (which they had a lot of... it seemed to be their version of funnel cake, hah), then you'd walk another five feet and smell meat, then another five feet and the scent of sweets would engulf you.

Last Friday our C.S. Lewis class walked down to Magdalen College and wandered around the grounds for a while. It's amazing to me how all these buildings can be so intricate. I wonder why people would have taken so much time and care just for a building. However, I do like them a LOT more than any modern building. The other day I was walking down a street with newer buildings and it just felt wrong... it didn't feel "Oxfordian." It did make me feel more like I was back home though... which was good and also not good.




Okay, so like the past two days we've been having amazing weather; meaning, in the 70s and sunny. So a group of us decided to go to the Botanic Gardens (partly because it's for a class and partly because we couldn't pass up the opportunity to be outside). At the garden, there were different little houses, each with a different type of climate and the plants that grew in that climate. I was excited to see a Venus flytrap, because I think they're cute. Also, out on the grounds, we saw J.R.R. Tolkien's favorite tree... which is kind of random (that he even had a favorite tree there) but really awesome. It was this huge old tree and quite majestic. I have a picture down below.






I have this song stuck in my head from church yesterday... at St Aldates, they seem to have this practice (at least, the two times I've been there) of getting all the children up in the front with the band to sing a song or two and perform the motions that go along with the song. So, they sang this song yesterday that went something like this: "My God is big, my God is great, my God is fab and He's my mate..." I don't remember the rest of it, but that part just keeps playing over and over in my head. I think it's really funny that they'd call God "fab," first of all, and then "mate"... I felt a little strange singing it because I don't think I've ever really thought of God that way before... I mean, He's my friend, but I wouldn't necessarily characterize Him as "fab" (whatever that means --- I associate it with phrases such as "Fab Four/Five" or other silly monickers preteen girls give their group of friends). I dunno, maybe it's just that connotation of the word that makes me feel funny about that song. I am, however, realizing that God is in control, even here. Psalm 139 (my favorite Psalm) reminds me that He never leaves, even while I'm thinking that He's not here, even while I'm having trouble finding Him, even while I keep focusing on myself. I guess it's just been a little difficult to find time and place to really get into the Word and to pray deeply like I used to. I feel like I've been disrupted. I really miss the Quiet Place - that was my favorite place to pray. Even though we do have amazing places outdoors here, such as University Parks, I sometimes just want to be completely alone, without any distractions.
Alright, so that wasn't too bad. I took 43 minutes to type/think this up. :) The next time I post it will be about Dublin/Edinburgh! Be ready! haha
peace
Alright, so that wasn't too bad. I took 43 minutes to type/think this up. :) The next time I post it will be about Dublin/Edinburgh! Be ready! haha
peace

0 replies:
Post a Comment